Three Cocktails With… Talisker 10 Year Old
Far too many people scoff at the idea of putting Scotch Whisky in a cocktail. But there is simply nothing wrong with it. Earlier this year, journalist Becky Paskin argued the case for the famed spirit’s placed in Tiki cocktails. With that in mind, we took Talisker 10 Year Old and used it as the base spirit for three cocktails. The results were excellent.
(Click on the cocktail names for full writeups)
- 2.5 oz Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- 0.75 oz Florio Fernet Liqueur
- 0.75 oz Mata Tinto Reserva Sweet Vermouth
- 0.5 oz Cointreau Orange liqueur
Add Talisker 10 Year Old, Floriot Fernet Liqueur, sweet Vermouth, and orange liqueur to a rocks glass. Put in one large ice cube and stir to desired temperature.
- 2.25 oz Talisker 10 Year Old Scotch Whisky
- 0.75 oz Lustau Manzanilla Sherry
- 1 rinse La Fee Absinthe Parisienne
- 1 twist Lemon peel (expressed & discarded)
Pour Talisker 10 and Manzanilla Sherry over rocks in a mixing glass and stir. Rinse a chilled coupe glass with the Absinthe. Pour mixture into coupe. Zest a lemon peel and express over beverage, then discard the peel.
- 2 oz Talisker 10 Year Old
- 0.75 Sweet vermouth 25ml
- Two dashes Angostura bitters
- Ice cube
Fill a mixing glass with ice cubes. Add the Angostura bitters, Talisker and sweet Vermouth. Stir briskly. Add one large ice cube to a rocks glass and strain mixture over the cube.
We learned what we already know. First, do what you enjoy and have the backbone not to be bullied into not doing it–we’re not saying this works in every stage of life, but this is drinking. Second, high quality plus high quality should make something better–once again, not always the case but it works here. Third, Talisker 10 is an excellent and versatile Whisky that works perfectly in all three of these cocktails.